Northwestern University is seeking a Developer (Evanston Campus) for a full-time position located in Evanston, IL.
Northwestern University Opportunity (Job ID 30057):
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Developer (Evanston Campus).
The CCL is looking for a full-time Software Developer to work on NetLogo. This Software Developer position is based at Northwestern University's Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling (CCL), working in a small collaborative development team in a university research group that also includes professors, postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduates, supporting the needs of multiple research projects. A major focus would be on development of NetLogo, an open-source modeling environment for both education and scientific research. CCL grants also involve development work on HubNet and other associated tools for NetLogo, including research and educational NSF grants involving building, delivering, and assessing NetLogo-based science curricula for secondary schools.
NetLogo is a programming language and agent-based modeling environment. The NetLogo language is a dialect of Logo/Lisp specialized for building agent-based simulations of natural and social phenomena. NetLogo has tens of thousands of users ranging from grade school students to advanced researchers. A collaborative extension of NetLogo, called HubNet, enables groups of participants to run participatory simulation activities in classrooms and distributed participatory simulations in social science research.
The Northwestern campus is in Evanston, Illinois on the Lake Michigan shore, adjacent to Chicago and easily reachable by public transportation.
To apply, please contact Uri Wilensky, Director of the CCL, at the following email address: ccl-developer-job [at] ccl [dot] northwestern [dot] edu. Please put 'Developer Job' in the subject line. Please include a PDF version of your resume, a list of references, and optionally, links to any relevant development projects you feel illustrate your abilities.
- Collaborates with the NetLogo development team in designing features for NetLogo, HubNet and web-based versions of these applications; writes code independently, and in the context of a team of experienced software engineers and principal investigator;
- Creates, updates and documents existing models using NetLogo, HubNet and web-based applications; creates new such models;
- Supports development of new devices to interact with HubNet; interacts with commercial and academic partners to help determine design and functional requirements for NetLogo and HubNet; interacts with user community including responding to bug reports, questions, and suggestions, and interacting with open-source contributors;
- Performs data collection, organization, and summarization for projects; assists with coordination of team activities.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of relevant experience required.
- Demonstrated experience and enthusiasm for writing clean, modular, well-tested code.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Experience with working effectively as part of a small software development team, including close collaboration, distributed version control, and automated testing;
- Experience with at least one JVM language such as Java;
- Experience with Scala programming, or enthusiasm for learning it;
- Experience with Haskell, Lisp, or other functional languages;
- Interest in and experience with programming language implementation, functional programming, and metaprogramming;
- Experience with GUI design; language design and compilers;
- Interest in and experience with computer-based modeling and simulation, especially agent-based simulation;
- Interest in and experience with distributed, multiplayer, networked systems like HubNet;
- Experience with physical computing;
- Experience with participatory simulations;
- Experience with cross-platform mobile development;
- Experience working on research projects in an academic environment;
- Experience with open-source software development and supporting the growth of an open-source community;
- Interest in education and an understanding of secondary school math and science content.
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement. Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will apply for current openings. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 30057.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply Here: https://functionaljobs.com/apply/8984