Ahrefs is seeking an OCaml server-side developer for a full-time position located in Singapore; San Francisco.
What we need
Ahrefs is looking for a backend developer with a deep understanding of networks, distributed systems, OS fundamentals and taste for simple and efficient architectural designs. Our backend is implemented mostly in OCaml and some C++, as such proficiency in OCaml is very much appreciated, otherwise a strong inclination to intensively learn OCaml in a short term will be required. Understanding of functional programming in general and/or experience with other FP languages (F#,Haskell,Scala,Scheme,etc) will help a lot. Knowledge of C++ and/or Rust is a plus.
Every day the candidate will have to deal with:
- 10+ petabytes of live data
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Independently deal with bugs, schedule tasks and investigate code
- Make argumented technical choice and take responsibility for it
- Understand the whole technology stack at all levels : from network and userspace code to OS internals and hardware
- Handle full development cycle of a single component - i.e. formalize task, write code and tests, setup and support production (devops), resolve user requests
- Approach problems with practical mindset and suppress perfectionism when time is a priority
- Write flexible maintainable code and adapt to post-launch requirements’ tweaks
These requirements stem naturally from our approach to development with fast feedback cycle, highly-focused personal areas of responsibility and strong tendency to vertical component splitting.
Who we are
Ahrefs runs an internet-scale bot that crawls the whole Web 24/7, storing huge volumes of information to be indexed and structured in a timely fashion. Backend system is powered by a custom petabyte-scale distributed key-value storage to accommodate all that data coming in at high speed. The performance-critical low-level part is implemented in C++, while all the coordination logic and communication layer, along with API library exposed to the developer is in OCaml. On top of that Ahrefs is building various analytical services for end-users.
We are a small team and strongly believe in better technology leading to better solutions for real-world problems. We worship functional languages and static typing, extensively employ code generation and meta-programming, value code clarity and predictability, and are constantly seeking to automate repetitive tasks and eliminate boilerplate, guided by DRY and following KISS. If there is any new technology that will make our life easier - no doubt, we'll give it a try. We rely heavily on opensource code (as the only viable way to build maintainable system) and contribute back, see e.g. https://github.com/ahrefs . It goes without saying that our team is all passionate and experienced OCaml programmers, ready to lend a hand or explain that intricate ocamlbuild rule.
Our motto is "first do it, then do it right, then do it better".
What you get
- Competitive salary
- Informal and thriving atmosphere
- First-class workplace equipment (hardware, tools)
- Medical insurance
- No dress code
Singapore : modern office in CBD
USA : cozy loft in San Francisco downtown
Interested? Tell us why you are the best choice for this role, your CV, desired salary and date of availability via email: apply-8908 [at] functionaljobs [dot] com